If you can answer yes to the following questions, you just may be the Probate Litigator we’re looking for.
Are you tenacious? Are you detailed oriented? Do you have a strong sense of ethics and a passion for helping people? Can you speak with clients like a person, not a lawyer? Are you looking for a fresh start at a technology-forward firm that puts work-life balance at the forefront of their thinking?
Shoup Legal, APLC is an Estate Planning, Trust Administration, Probate, and Business Law firm located in beautiful Murrieta, California. Our firm is focused on leveraging technology and five-star customer service to provide clients with an experience not seen in other firms. We believe in empowering our Attorneys to go above and beyond to service clients in their most desperate hours of need. Our Attorneys receive support from our amazing team comprised of Office Service Assistants and Paralegals who are meticulously selected and trained to be a part of our world-class support staff.
But, of course, there’s more. The associate we are looking for will be responsible for important work, not just discreet assignments from someone else that lack context. We envision an environment in which the associate will:
- Work directly and regularly with the owner and staff to manage, as well as work on, the firm’s caseload;
- Execute and supervise the timely execution of case-specific work like pleading and motion drafting, discovery, depositions, mediation, and hearings;
- Making and carrying out the tactical and strategic decisions about cases and their progress; and
- Making sure the client stays up to date on the case developments.
So, now that we’ve told you about the functions, how about personality? We want more than a soul-less automation, who sits at a desk and mindlessly works hours. We want people with real personalities and empathy, who understand that clients are people with problems, issues, and stress and have hired us to help them. So, our ideal associate:
- Conveys confidence in person and on the phone;
- Shows empathy to clients and puts them at ease during their difficult time;
- Treats a call at 4:30 on Friday with the same care and compassion as one on Monday morning;
- Demonstrates exceptional communication and writing skills;
- Demonstrates clear thinking under pressure; and
- Has excellent strategic and tactical thinking and is willing to dig in to make the right calls in handling the case.
Lastly, there is some “boilerplate” that we think you need to know. Our associate should be able to:
- Conduct initial consultations with clients.
- Identify the appropriate strategy to meet the client’s expressed objectives and make recommendations for fulfill those objectives.
- Explain complex legal concepts and strategies in plain language to the client.
- Regularly consult with clients, accountants, financial advisors and other parties as needed to effectively move cases forward.
- Cultivate relationships with the firm’s existing and future clients by maintaining consistent and timely communication.
- Report on caseload at a weekly case review meeting.
- Develop a client following to increase the firm’s revenues.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the suite of Microsoft Office programs – Word and Outlook, mostly, but Excel and PowerPoint are strong plusses.
- J.D. from an accredited law school and licensed with the California State Bar.
- Preferred 5+ years of probate litigation experience handling matters from inception to conclusion, including meeting with clients, developing a legal strategy, preparing the appropriate documents, and presenting the case.
- Effective, clear, concise and accurate communication, both oral and written, at an appropriate level to the situation of the client.
- Working knowledge of court proceedings.
- Great ability to focus under pressure and the willingness to do what needs to be done.
- Demonstrate a high degree of discretion, confidentiality and integrity in the handling of personal client information, including following the Rule of Professional Conduct.
- Strong computer skills with extensive experience using MS Office Suite, timekeeping and case management software.
- Experience with Wealth Counsel drafting is desired.
- A transferrable book of business is a BIG plus.
- $90,000 – $175,000 yearly, dependent on experience and qualifications
- Recognized work-life balance
- Paid Holidays
- Personal Time Off
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance available
Please email your resume, cover letter and salary request to [email protected]